All photos and text by Davebron Babaran unless otherwise noted.

Saturday, April 23, 2011

OLDIES but GOODIES

Gadgets that you loved before and how they changed your life.
Circa 90s and 2000. Remember the times when you're holding a big gadget and everyone seem to look at you for the tool depicts coolness in their eyes. Yeah, we're talking about gadgets that you loved, cried over, turned-you-world-around and for somehow (the benevolent side) changed your life. And before I really say goodbye to my gonzo teenage dream, let's retrospect the goodies I've had in my life.

#1 View Master
I remember when I was 3 to 4 years of age, my mother bought me a view master. It's has a resemblance with telescope (since you're like viewing a binoculars) but the difference is, instead of moon and star gazing, you will be putting a specialty film for you to check photos. It has a trigger-like button on its right side that you need to click for you see the slideshow inside the film. The slideshow that I could only remember were the animal collection and Mickey Mouse. The specialty film is made out of thick carton-like paper so in the event that it's kinda worn out you'll be having a hard time putting it back again on top of the view master (like a tape of Gameboy that you need to plug and unplug). This was a fad for kids during my time, I remember other View Master-like gadget that came out that was so fail because kids my age wouldn't appreciate its appearance. haha 

Samples of what you could see inside the View Master:

Animals
and tragedies happening to animals. LOL 

#2 Nintendo Gameboy
The gadget that I once dreamed of having, and yes--it became mine. Since I was young, bandwagon appeal was really a big hit for me (only for what we could afford), I first saw Gameboy to my younger cousin and to my surprise, I was so amazed since imagine a Mario game inside the 4x4 screen (since we usually play Mario in TV's LCD) that you can play right in front of your hands. When Papa retired from work, this was my only request that he granted, I remember the value of Gameboy during year 1996, it was 2,500 pesos and Mama insisted not to buy a tape since she said that I could always borrow one from my cousin. 

Mario game in Gameboy:



 #3 Nokia 6150
This was my first-ever mobile phone in my life and sad to say that when it became my phone, it's already 2 years in fad. During that time, Nokia phones are the bombs, if you get caught holding one, you're way better compared to Alcatel and Samsung users, not to mention the mini phones that was hip and prices that ranged from 20-30k. 
Using Nokia 6150 was so cool because of Snake, a pixelated snake game that became everyone's favorite plus I customized its back-light from the default to red, yes red seriously (30 pesos per light). Amidst of the coolness, I received bullies from my schoolmates since during that time the Nokia 3310 was the fad and it doesn't have an antenna which would make you more COOL! 

I also want to know the goodies you've had before. SHARE! :)


1 comment: